Friday, July 21, 2006

Shinto


Many people in Japan believe in Shinto. They go to a Shrine to pray. I was never interested in religion. So I never thought about my religion. Although I used to go to shrine to pray on the New Year’s Day, that’s just because it is traditional thing to do in Japan. I also used to go to shrine to pray for good luck before the exam or something big events. Despite the fact that I didn’t know who I was praying to, I just did that because everyone does that.

But now, I know what Shinto is and I like the beliefs. I knew it because I saw TV program “Lonely Planet” on SBS. And it introduced a bit of Shinto. Shinto people believe in 8 million gods. They believe that every natural things have god in their inside. And all shrines belong to one of them. For example, the one Lonely Planet introduced was the Shrine of cucumber. They believe in god in CUCUMBER. So people living in that shrine don’t eat cucumber at all. It’s a bit extreme example but I like the belief that every nature things have a god inside. I like it because if people think in that way people would not waste the things.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Podcast said...

Shinto is very interesting because it is so similar to how a lot of tribal people view the world. Everything has a spirit. It's funny that you had to watch a lonely planet show to get one of your countries religion. Lonely Planet is an Australian company. I found a spooky shrine to the fox god in a park in Tokyo. It was pouring rain and I was the only human there. I sensed other things!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Takuya said...

capt.haddock>
oh, you like it? so you have to become Shinto people too!!

peter podcast>
Is it? oh, cool. I'm interested in beriefs of trical people, then.

I have many things about Japan that I learnt in Australia.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home